Wednesday 8 February 2012

Winter Wonderland

Can you believe it?  I am looking out of the window and it is only trying to snow again, so I wondered if I put up my pictures from my jaunt out in the snow on Sunday if that would make it stop as we have had our share for the Winter?
First you have to actually get out of the house... I loved the way that the snow had filled in the spaces in my gate.  When I was little I really wanted a gate, our house did not have one, then I moved to London and lived in flats so it was not until I turned 40 that I had my very own gate. And the reason why I wanted a gate was a children's TV show called Sarah and Hoppity and she swung on the gate... the first night I spent in my new house I crept out surreptitiously that evening and swung on my very own gate... it was worth the wait, I promise you!
If you walk round the corner, you see the view that makes me smile every day, across the graveyard, you can see the estuary and in the distance the coast of Kent.
As you can see it is not just children who get excited, I spotted these three twentysomethings headed down to the cliffs to try out their brand spanking new sledge... not  for them the tin tea trays of my youth... bet they never had a go cart made from the wheels of a Silver Cross pram teamed with a real tea chest!
This is one of my favourite trees in Leigh, it is a Monkey Puzzle tree, it look beautiful in the Summer but oh my, doesn't it look makestic covered in the snow?
I wish that you could hear how quiet the snow made the world seem here on Sunday, even the church bells at St Clement's which were pealing seem really muffled.
And finally, here is the view down Church Hill, I love the way the snow has caught on the balconies, it looks fantastic a night when the Victorian lamps are lit.  And best of all is the mix of Victorian houses, juxtaposed against the the Essex clapboard houses... when I grow up I think I would like to live down there:)

13 comments:

CarolC1 said...

That was the first thing I noticed, how lovely your gate looked. It emphasises the design very nicely. I can't believe you never had a gate until you were 40. Thats incredible. Your pics are lovely, I thought they were black and white to begin with then I noticed the belishia beakon. lol. (think thats how you spell it)

Stocki said...

Brrr... you made me shiver! I love your gate too... and your photos are a little 'Constable - esque'..with a little splash of colour in each :)x

Kate said...

Truly magnificent photos ... thank you for sharing.

Kathy Moker said...

fabulous photos - truly fabulous.
thanks for sharing.

Eight by Six said...

Love your gate and even prettier with the snow. If I go out to the end of my village maybe I could wave to you! I live in Iwade so just across the water. Amanda

En4tainment said...

The photo looks great, x

Isaida said...

beautiful photos - i was hoping we'd get snow this winter, but probably not going to happen :(

Polly Polkadot said...

we didn't get any snow, and the big kid in me is really missing it.

Michelle said...

I want a GATE! Your gate is very cute! I love the hearts! I live in the Midwest of the US, and we're usually pummeled by snow. This year, we've barely had 6 inches, and it's all melted within a day or two.

Lyn said...

The snow on the gate is fantastic (I'd forgotten about Hoppity!)

Your photos are lovely, but I only like snow in photos. I was very lucky here - only had a little sleet and it melted as soon as it hit the ground.

Triona said...

Wow, that's a lot of snow! And I join in with the love for your gate--it's beautiful.

Diana Wilson Wright said...

I am envious. Last year we were buried in snow and although we were unable to get out from tIme to time, it was beautiful. This year, we have had very little winter at all.
Thanks for your the picture tour of your corner of the world. I agree with other comments that the gate is lovely.

Diana
Warwick, Ontario, Canada

Beth said...

Lovely scenes of where you live.