Monday 18 July 2011

Not quite the lottery winner but...

Well as you probably can tell I did not win the £161 million last week but I did have a dream come true!  For two days I ran a yarn and fabric shop for a friend and it was just as good as winning the lottery.  

It was such fun, meeting lots of people who popped in to browse, ask for help with their knitting, choosing colours and I even got to do some knitting while I was there.  I have made a start on a pair of socks for my friend Chris to keep his feet warm on his allotment (just have to indulge in a little Kitchener stitch to finish the toes.  The little hat is an adaptation of one I found on Ravelry, on the original pattern the petals were sewn onto the hat but I thought it would be easier to  knit it all in one... I wonder if Chris might like one for his gardening...
We will draw a veil over me locking myself out of the shop (temperamental Yale lock) and having to count shops so that I could work out which was the back garden of the shop to use the keys for the back door... I had visions of the Police being called as I attempted to break into the shop next door!

I was also lucky enough to attend another felting workshop with Jeanette Trim.  You may remember that I made some flowers with her before, but this time I wanted to make smaller and finer flowers... am so pleased with these and the way that the colours work so well together.
Now as it is Monday, go take a look at Wendy's Handmade Monday and see what all the other crafters have been up to... but I bet their dreams did not come true this week!

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Looking after the shop is a perfect compromise - owning one is too tying! Love the counting the shops story - that would be me too! The socks look toasty and the felted flowers are lush! x

Helen said...

The flowers are lovely :)

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

Sounds like you've been having fun. These 'locked out' experiences are what makes life interesting....aren't they? Love your cosy socks and those felt flowers are exquisite

Anne - Imagination Beads said...

The socks look great for the weather we're having at the moment - they would be good with wellies!

Polly Polkadot said...

I rarely knit, but am jealous of you acting as owner! I really like the felt flowers again.

Ali said...

Had to laugh at the vision of you counting back gardens! (I would probably start at the wrong end of the street!!)

Sounds like great fun being in the shop and just perfect for someone with your talents. Heaven.

Loving the makes this week.

Ali x

CHRIS LINACRE said...

We may be poor but we know how to have fun don't we! Love the socks
x Chris

Kazies Magical Designs said...

I love your felted flowers they look amazing I have collections of tops for my daughter as she did a little of the same about a year ago you have given me the inspiration to raid the stash again xxx

Annie and Lyn said...

I can imagine the back door scene (grinning as I type) and it probably seems funny to you now but I bet it didn't at the time.

Sitting on the 'other side' of the counter in the shop must have been heavenly!

I love the felt flowers - do you have any plans for them?

Jan said...

Bad luck on not winning the lottery but you are not alone, I didn't win it either. :o)
I like playing shop, I've done it for a friend of mine but not for a whole day.
Love the socks.

Jan x

Roses & Rue said...

What can i say Ros? I'm glad you didnt end up in Mr Grumpy Trousers Garden, or we might never have seen you again. Anyway, bravo on a splendid job. Love the flowers....if only I could pin the adorable Mrs Trim down for some sessions myself....