Friday 18 May 2012

Me and Pythagorus attack the knitting!

I am, on occasion a Mumsnet blogger and sometimes I am really proud of what the ladies on there do.  There is a group on there who create blankets for people who have lost loved ones... it may be a child or a partner... we know that there is nothing that we can do to bring them back but we can create a tangible memory to sunggle up with, to show that for however fleetingly they have been here they are not forgotten.


So a call goes out on the forum to ask for people to knit or crochet and others to provide the wool so no-one is excluded from taking part.  Yesterday I completed my two squares... I get a parcel of bits and pieces and instructions to make something special... the girls like to challenge me!


And this is what I came up with:
The owl is because one of the families has a special affinity with birds and is created with just three cables worked over eight stitches.
And the stripey square is knitted from corner to corner, have you any idea how difficult it is to do random stripes,,, and as I knitted it, running through my mind was "the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the two squares on the two other sides." Funny how old maths lessons come back to haunt you!


Anyway they are now in an envelope off to be sewn up into a blanket :)

5 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

I love the owl! Were they made with the ball of wool you didn't like?
I know what you mean, when I'm creating funny rhymes and quotes go through my mind too!
Julie xxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Hoy descubrí tu blog, y tengo que decir que me encanta, das unas ideas buenísimas. A partir de ahora tienes una fiel seguidora.
Un saludo.
Lola.

Fiddly Fingers said...

The owl looks very wise! He would make a lovely cushion cover!

CarolC1 said...

What a lovely, kind thing to do. I do love your owl. What a good idea.

Mrs A. said...

Well remember those Mathis lessons. We had to learn everything by repeating over and over again. !!!!!!!!