Thursday 3 May 2012

Oh dear John Lewis - What have you done?

I work in London, so I am usually well served by wool and fabric shops, if I need notions or trimmings my first port of call is JLP.  In previous years I have bought sewing machines from them, fabrics almost by the bolt and I am sure that I have had the equivalent of a flock of sheep in wool.
I knew if I needed it, they would have it but something awful has happened... it started just before Christmas when the Children's Dep't swapped with the Knitting and Fabric Dep't... it was a smaller space but I was assured it was only for a few months.  So I lived with it.


However, I had to dash up there today for a couple of bits and pieces and Oh my... it was awful.  I swear someone has put the dep't into my washing machine on a really hot wash followed by a good hour in the tumble dryer.  It had shrunk and really was no longer fit for purpose...


I asked for a pattern, remember those huge filing cabinets... all gone just a few baskets under a viewing table and a 10 day wait, but you know me, I want it and I want it now.


The wool had been dessicated by a wolf, there was little left, less than my local shops.  


I spoke to the assistants, one lady got quite upset as she quietly said that although they had fought there corner... they found themselves with just a corner and no more.  This is just not on.  I spoke to a manager who nodded and said he took on board my comments... so I feel a letter coming on.


John Lewis, this is just good enough... so readers, if this is happening in your local store complain... if we lose the fabrics, wools and haberdashery, we will never get it back!

14 comments:

supertinks said...

Might I ask which JLP branch it is? The refurbishment of the Reading branch meant the haberdashery section got relocated, but even though it's in a smaller space at the back of the store, I don't think we've lost anything. Still have the big cabinets of patterns, at any rate.

Unknown said...

It is the flagship store... John Lewis in Oxford Street :(

Dawn Ruth said...

I have found the same situation at all John Lewis stores. I agree they were great but they seem to have gone in for a pre-packed sort of stuff which is not what the true serious crafter, seamstress knitter wants. Its I hate to say it for the person who wants to have a play nothing more. I have been into stores in Watford, Norwich, Cambridge etc etc and they are all the same
I cannot believe the argument that homemade is no longer a consumer preference particularly not when the BBC and all the other TV channels are encouraging us all to make it ourselves recycle etc etc Its just stupid Sorry I'm ranting but I do feel very strongly about the demise of the haberdashery and fabric departments

KC'sCourt! said...

I had heard John Lewis were not selling as much craft stuff as they used to, even on line is useless!
Julie xxxxxxx

Unknown said...

I was told that nobody wanted it... so I told the assistant that I was somebody and I needed it! Interestingly the cashier said that they wer getting a number of complaints and she felt really embarrassed when people had travelled some distance to the store :(

Cara said...

That is so sad. I was disappointed when I last visited but thought, oh well, that's the way of the world. I think your post might have prompted me to write a strong letter instead of just letting it go. :-(

Lyn said...

It happened in Southampton several years back.

John Lewis was always THE place to go. Then the shop relocated to new premises. The fabric, patterns, knitting and haberdashery department is now a waste of space. Not much fabric, button containers always empty, hardly any wool and lots of expensive kits in pretty packages.

Abi said...

Yup - it's a sad fact but JL is no longer the place I rush to for haberdashery.
I've stopped going to the Oxford St store and had that sinking feeling when I heard there was to be a JL in the new Westfield in 'Olympic Stratford' just up the road from me.
As I feared, the haberdashery dept there is tiny and full of kits - as mentioned in other comments. No use to me really.

:-(

The mum of all trades said...

I'm surprised at this. I thought craft and homemade activities were huge at the minute and a department like this would be doing well.

around2it said...

Hi,I have just found your blogspot thanks to CraftGossip and I am so glad I did. Your are now in my googlereader and I love the Handmade Monday also. Thank you

Chrysalis said...

Hi - I nominated your great blog for a 'versatile blogger award'. Please pop over and visit, for details. Love, Chris

http://teddywaresandflutterbies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/busy-flutterby.html

Caroline said...

I find the Bristol one (Cribbs Causeway) still has a reasonable selection of stuff - much better than Cardiff. Perhaps this is because at Bristol, haberdashery is on the top floor with the cafe and there isn't another dept they would would want to put up there where no-one goes unless they actually want the cafe/haberdashery. Cardiff has a much smaller selection of stuff and despite having filing cabinets of patterns they never seem to have the ones I want in stock. Also, the staff in the Bristol branch are incredibly helpful and friendly - full of advice recommendations etc.

Kerri Robberts said...

oh my gosh, I thought it was just the Brent Cross store that was like this :( JLP what ARE you doing?!?!

Carla Awen said...

What a shame! I went into the Milton Keynes JL store earlier in the week and had travelled quite a way to get there and it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. As ever the staff were v helpful and I put it down to the store refurb, but sounds like maybe this is a sign of things to come. Buying online just isn't the same as seeing and feeling the fabric / yarn in a store.