Sunday 27 November 2011

OSS - Nowt to do with WWII...

I admit it, I am a bit of a pattern tart.  There, I have said it so it must be true.


So how does it manifest itself... well OSS is probably the easiest for you to understand.   But really you have to understand something about me, I am a show off, I am useless with colour and texture, unlike my sister who has both an eye and taste but  I am a great technician, show me a pattern or an object and I can make it. Yep, I am that sicko that looks at your sweater or dress and can tell you exactly how it is made, which bits need easing, where you should insert a dart and where to take it in to make it fit properly... yeah, I hate myself too!


But there is a dreadful affliction which hits knitters, OSS - One Sock Syndrome.  We find amazing socks, knit em up and then... tumbleweed... and more tumbleweed... and the other sock... what the heck, I have made one, so really I need to make another... you are kidding me, haven't you heard of hopping?



Well you might remember at the beginning of the Summer I started fabulous Flutter-by socks from Library girl, I made them because I had never done butterfly stitch before and it looked good, first sock done within a few days.... other sock = six months, give or take. 

Finally they are done, I make no mention of the ripping back when I had knitted too many rounds as I did not need to look at the pattern because I had already made one, I mean what sort of muppet would do that?  Well today, the final Kitchener stitches were sewn in place and the pairing was complete.
It was a beautiful stitch to knit, dinky little heels in eye of partridge and frankly anyone with a bit of focus would have made them up in June... but honestly who needs bed sock for July?   So I am introducing in timely fashion to the world, my warm and wonderful Winter flutter-by bed socks... 
And for others who suffer from this nightmare syndrome, maybe we can all join up and send on the other sock to some show off that you know to complete the pair.  I wonder if I should open up a sock registry... I can record tension, speed and accuracy so the the owner knows the genetic history of their pairing... but what if the owner needs counselling as the OK (other knitter) uses magic loop rather than 5 DPNs, could they co-exist happily?


PS - In the meantime I made four other complete pairs...


PPS - It was cold enough to wear them last night, I was as snug as a bug in a rug!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have OSS, OAS, OMS & HABS -Ros, is there any hope?

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

I can hear it now women up and down the land screaming at their screens "Yes Ros, yes, that's me!" I think you may have identified a common syndrome here, unfortunately there is no known cure - Maybe a scok sanctuary?:)

Pumpkin said...

I love your sense of humor on the subject. I personally solve one sock syndrome by knitting two socks at a time on circulars, but that's just my preference.

You have also really made me want to try butterfly stitch!

Butterfly said...

I have decided that when I finally get around to making socks, my already natural tendency to wear mis-matched sock will be a blessing because if I don't feel like making a second sock, I just pair it with one of my other random single socks.

Stocki said...

Oh they are worth all the effort though aren't they? I be they feel sooo gorgeous on :)x

CarolC1 said...

Snap. I understand perfectly. Too perfectly actually although I have not knitted socks since childhood. I also understand about patterns as I am like that myself, add a few stitches, take a few off and hey presto we have a garment.